The Camp will be held at Estrella Mountain Community Collegee (EMCC) located at 3000 N Dysart Rd in Avondale (northwest corner of Dysart and Thomas Rds). The Camp welcome/breakfast and wrap-up/lunch will be held in the 2nd floor Community Room of Estrella Hall. Camp sessions, EMCC Resource Center, and Camp Resource Center will be held in Mariposa Hall. Parking is available between both builidngs. View the EMCC campus and Mariposa Hall maps.
Here are a few suggestions as you prepare for Saturday (January 7):
1. LaidOffCamp SW Valley is not your typical suit-and-tie event, and it’s not a job fair, and nobody will be judging you based on what you’re wearing. Dress casually — most of the speakers will be dressed casually too. If you feel more comfortable in a suit or tie, please feel free — just don’t get dressed up if you don’t want to.
2. Take a few moments to review the session schedule before you arrive. It describes each of the sessions and speakers. Our sessions are organized into six different tracks just to help you figure out the kind of information that’s available to you, but you’re free to attend any session you’d like, in any track — you don’t have to sign up or anything. You’ll notice that a few of the sessions are given twice to allow some flexibility for you in scheduling.
3. Registration will begin at 7:00 a.m. in the foyer of Estrella Hall with the opening session beginning promptly at 7:30 a.m. since we have so much to cover in a half day. Please do your best to arrive in time for the opening session. We’ll be covering general information about how to make the most of the day and sharing other important information, so I’d hate for you to miss it.
4. EMCC is excited to share with you all the resources the College has to offer. Instructors and staff from EMCC will be conducting sessions during the day and the EMCC Resource Center will be located in Mariposa Hall Room 152 during the event for you to stop in and use the KUDER system. KUDER is great because it can help you figure out your strengths and what next steps might be for you.
5. We will be serving a light breakfast (coffee, juice, pastries, etc.) and lunch (pizza and salads) thanks to our wonderful sponsors Sonoran Technology, Walmart, West Valley National Bank, and organizing committee members. Breakfast and lunch will be offered in the Community Room on the 2nd floor of Estrella Hall. If you’re really picky or have particular needs, you might want to pack your own lunch. We encourage attendees to stay on-site for lunch (which is why we serve one) because it’s a great opportunity to chat with speakers, volunteers and other attendees. Trust me — you never know who is going to connect you to that next opportunity, and it might be the person sitting next to you at lunch!
6. Utilize the Resource Center located in Mariposa Hall Room 140. Available will be resume experts, veterans services, Maricopa Skill Center, EMCC recruiters, small business development info, Maricopa Workforce Connections representatives, and representatives of Women’s Health Coalition.
7. You don’t need to print your ticket. Save a tree — we know who you are.
8. Stay afterwards to continue networking and forging relationships.